Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thunderbirds Are Go!

Prototype A is finished! Surprisingly, it didn't take anytime to finish up the last bits and get them sewn onto the main body. However, considering this was my first time designing a project in knit and discovering late that throwing my original pattern out and freehanding the last couple of elements was simpler AND accounting for the goofball mistake of sewing the first leg on without attempting a way to match the other legs exactly, I think it turned out pretty well. I love, love the tweedy yarn, Patons Shetland CHUNKY Tweeds to be exact. Worsted yarn would have been smoother and more stuffable, maybe, but I like the texture of this yarn. It kept me from wanting to add rivets in excess. (psst...I love riveting...copper rivets, aluminum rivets, made-up yarn rivets...).


I was a bit eager to finish this rocket, so that I could start another project. However, I feel I need to work on technique, for sure, and do some extra shaping work on the legs and bottom. I'm happy with the bulleye pattern on the bottom, but I wanted it to be more taught and less....navel-like. Also, I'd really like to figure out how to make the increases and decreases more obvious so that it appears to look like seamed metal. Currently I lack the skills to pull it off, but it's all part of "the vision". Should all experimenting go well, I do think I'm gonna make a couple more for my nephews this Christmas, but this one is gift to my husband for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- that came out great!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home