Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Reviving a Passion



Before the breeding began, I was an illustration student. I even managed to eek out a degree in visual communications/illustration between my first two kids, but after that achievement, the inspiration to continue seemed too many diaper changes away and, in fact, was. It was a passion, interuppted. But the course of my life has shifted ever so slightly towards the creative again since I'd decided to hang up the gestational apron for a life less physically demanding. Now if I choose to pick up a 25 lb. ball and lug it up a flight of stairs periodically throughout the day, it'll be for remembering the good times when a baby kicked gently from the inside out and not in the shin because it didn't get a soda from the Quicky Mart. Oh, good times, good times. (All kidding aside, I've never actually been kicked in the shin..... at least not by one of mine)

So longish story short, after a ten year hiatus, I've decided that this is the year that I take my doodlings from years past and present and devote some free time to creating a slightly less haphazard portfolio. I've scrapped the longing to study medical illustration and decided to concentrate on what I'm most familiar with, children. So here's to striking that first blow: a couple of sketches too late for Illo. Fri. and one (the mermaid*) too "sketchy" for the originally intended embroidery project**.

*In progress.

** I fully recognize that I am probably committing all kinds of embroidery faux pas', but it's hard to suppress the guerilla tactics of woman, distracted.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

My son regularly kicked me in the shins when he was about 5. Immediately post-divorce. Now, he sends me cards and writes songs. Your cat is very funny.

2:56 AM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

You know, life does tend to get in the way of our creative endeavors, but have no fear, your passion will pull you through. I know this because my own life is filled with child, husband, full-time job and I still manage to make stuff each and every day. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines and if you ever need to vent, send e me and we'll talk.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Red Rocket said...

Thanks for the support, ladies.

L.L., Will do!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home