Wednesday, July 25, 2007

History Repeating

So I got my books from the "Hurt Books" sale at Interweave today and spent a little bit of time pursuing the pages of "A History of Hand Knitting", by R. Rutt. Looking down on page 161, I see,

"The end of hand-knitted stockings

Socks and stockings were the most frequently hand-knitted garments from the beginning of popular knitting until the 1950's. Today they can hardly be seen, and only the old can turn a heel without referring to book.........Today's knitter expects more pleasure from the craft." (pg.161-circa 1987)
I r o n y as defined by the craft of sock knitting. I dare say, the "old", i.e. the twenty years young crowd, may not be too pleased with that statement, eh? Or, at least they'd be forced to admit they had to check the internet for a reminder. I just love that. All kidding aside though, I do believe this is going to be an excellent read.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home